The floor is lava is a fun game for children of all ages but can be played by any age – especially the second version which has a TV programme devoted to it.
To play The Floor is Lava, you will need:
- -A large, open space that can be divided into a playing area and a safety zone
- -At least 2 players
- -A safe place to stand when you’re not in the playing area
The playing area is where the action happens. You’ll want to make it as big as possible, but it should at least be large enough for all the players to fit in comfortably. The safety zone should be off limits to the players – it’s where they go when they’re not in the playing area. It can be any size you like, but it’s best if it’s bigger than the playing area.
When you’re ready to start, someone will need to be the lava. The lava is the person who stays in the playing area and tries to touch other players. If the lava touches another player, that player becomes lava too.
To win the game, you must be the last player remaining who has not been touched by the lava.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe from the lava:
- – Stay close to other players. There’s strength in numbers!
- – Move quickly and keep your eyes on the lava at all times.
- – If you see the lava coming towards you, jump out of the way!
- – Use furniture or other objects to create barriers between you and the lava.
Another version of the Floor is Lava is to set up the room with props such as cushions and chairs. The floor itself is the lava. The players must then make their way across the room stepping only on the items, but must NEVER touch the floor. If they do, they are out of the game.
It is a good idea to set up the props so that some of them are quite difficult to move to, that way it’s more fun as not everyone will be able to cross the room easily.
The last player left in the game is the winner.